The Senate Committee on Small Business and Entrepreneurship internship program provides a unique experience that invites students interested in public service to observe and participate in the legislative process. This internship helps students learn more about how a legislative committee operates. The committee is chaired by Senator Jim Risch (R-ID). The committee focuses on oversight of the Small Business Administration, investigating all matters that pertain to small business and proposing legislation that deals with these issues. This internship program is a great opportunity for students to learn first-hand about public service and the workings of the U.S. Senate. Interns will gain knowledge of the federal legislative process and the day-to-day work that goes into researching, drafting, and passing a bill in the Senate. They will also learn about the challenges facing small businesses today. The program is open to undergraduate and graduate students of all majors. Intern projects include, but are not limited to, legislative research, drafting documents, preparing for hearings, answering phones, running errands, and helping to research and write small business of the month recognitions.
Internships are available year-round in our Washington, D.C. office. Students will be paid a stipend of $1000.00 per month to help defray the cost of living.
There are three sessions:
- Spring Session (Jan.-May.) Applications must be submitted by December 1
- Summer Session (May - Aug.) Applications must be submitted by April 17
- Fall Session (Aug. - Dec.) Applications must be submitted by July 28
- A completed application form (The form can be downloaded using the link at the bottom of this page. Please complete and save the form. It should be included in your email with the other attachments below.)
- Two letters of recommendation
- Your most recent college transcript
The completed application form, letters of recommendation, and college transcripts should be emailed to Intern_Coordinator@sbc.senate.gov or faxed to (202) 224-5619.