On Thursday, June 23, 2016 at 10:00am EDT, the Senate Committee on Small Business and Entrepreneurship (SBC) will hold a hearing entitled, “Beyond the Bench: Ramifications of the Supreme Court Kingdomware Decision.”
Last week, the Supreme Court of the United States (SCOTUS) handed down a unanimous decision ruling that the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) is obligated to administer contracts to veteran-owned small businesses (VOSB) when there is an anticipation that two or more businesses will submit bids for the contract, also known as the “Rule of Two.” Considered a big win for VOSB’s, the decision mandates that qualified VA contracts must first be offered to a VOSB. During Thursday’s hearing, Committee Members will hear testimony from the Federal Agencies involved, Kingdomware Technology representatives and experts with insight on the SCOTUS’s decision.
Invited witnesses to the hearing include:
- Mr. Thomas J. Leney, Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Office of Small and Disadvantaged Business Utilization
- Mr. A. John Shoraka, U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) Government Contracting and Business Development
- Ms. LaTonya Barton, Kingdomware Technologies, Inc.
- Mr. Michael Phipps, Millennium Group Int’l, LLC
- Mr. Jonathan T. Williams, Piliero Mazza
The hearing and business meeting will be livestreamed here.